Скачати 494.71 Kb.
ЗмістPart i. culture
1. What is culture?
Different layers of culture
2. Fill in the gaps.
3. Match the names of the countries with the value types most characteristic for their nations
There are a number of definitions of culture. Read some of them and choose the best you like. Try to make up your own one, using
Culture is the collective programming of the mind which distinguishes the members of one category of people from another". "By
4. Vocabulary build-up
5. Creative Writing “Who I Am?”
2. Culture metaphors
COMPASS or X mark: YOU ARE HERE!
Melting pots & salad bowls
Software of the mind
1. What culture metaphor could you apply to your group?
2. Think of your own culture metaphor. Draw an image and explain it. 3. Write an essay on one of the problems below.
PART II. SAME PLANET DIFFERENT WORLDS Conversation Questions
1. What is Globalisation? What does globalisation mean to you? With your partner brainstorm all the words and phrases you associ
Fill the gaps in the sentences with the following idioms in the correct form.
1. He didn’t hear the phone ringing because he was sound asleep. He was … 2. “Would you like to live and work abroad?” “No! …!”
5. He’s not concentrating on what the teacher is saying, he is just starting into space. I think he’s …
food family traditions music education clothes travel trade communication etc.
Globalization of Culture
6. Read the article about American culture
1. Translate the text into English
2. Get acquainted with the most common politically correct words
3. When in Rome …
1. Read the information how not to behave badly abroad
A saudi-german encounter
What three actions offended Bouchaib? Why?
3. Discuss the questions with your partner
5. Listen to the conversation and complete the sentences
A Multilingual Internet?
4. Systems of values of language and culture
Part iii. crossing cultures
1. Read the information and name the synonyms to the underlined words.
2. Read the text and discuss the situations described in it. Role-play them.
3. Watch the video and do the tasks.
Culture Shock, Korea, and the ESL Teacher
2. Read the following statements and decide if they are true or false, generally speaking.
3. Answer the questions.
4. Complete the sentences to make them about customs in Russia (the USA, the UK. etc.).
5. Read and render the article. Explain the meaning of the highlighted words
6. Use the information from the Net or from any dictionaries / newspapers / magazines and write a tourist pamphlet for your coun
7. Read the article quickly. In which paragraph will you find the answer to the following questions?
7. Write an essay about one of the problems above.
Part iv. communication
2. Complete the sentences. Use the best word from the box and pay attention at its form
3. Translate the text into English
Doing business across cultures
2. The Process of Communication
2. Read the text. As you can see the communications process consists of 7 parts. Insert them according to the content of the pas
3. Read the text and think of any other barriers in the communication process. Discuss your examples with the group
4. Read the text about types of communication. Give your examples
3. Verbal and Nonverbal Communication
Some differences between verbal and nonverbal communication
4. Body Language
2. Choose the statements (5) which reflect content of the text
3. Make a list of useful tips to give someone going to an interview for the first time
5. Match the expressions with their meanings
6. Do you agree with this statement?
7. Read this extract from a newspaper article on body language and fill in the spaces using the following verbs
Part v. international communication
3. Use the following questions to begin a conversation with your partner
4. Read the following texts and get ready to discuss them
5. Translate the highlighted word combinations into Russian. Make up your own sentences using them
7. Read the text about the varieties of English.
Spelling differences between American and British English
US for American English and UK
11. Write the text in American English. Choose the correct variant
12. Decide whether the sentence is written in British or American English
2. Language and gender
Here are some examples of non-sexist variations of vocabulary
Words relating to gender
1. A modern editor would probably alter these sentences. How would this be done/
2. Circle the best of the underlined words to complete each sentence
3. What are idioms?
Here are some examples
4. Translate the sentences into Russian
1. Use the slang dictionary to match the highlighted words with the ones below
1. How good is your SMS English? Try to read the text below